I’ll be the first to tell you that I often break this rule myself….which is I give my logo designs more detail. I like to use a lot of shadowing, textures, and shading to give my logos depth and pizzaz!! It’s really just my style and most of the times it really works out well!
But the hardest type of logo or even design is always less complicated and simplified! Some of the most brilliant logos I have seen are SOOOOO simple yet effective! Think about some major companies logo’s…McDonalds, Apple, Target, FedEx, Microsoft…etc etc. They are so bloody boring and not very clever but they really work. The reason being is because they are simplified and get branded in your brain.
So often with logo design, less is definitely more! What makes these designs so simple are:
1) Limited Color Usage (1-2 Colors Max)
2) Limited Font Usage (1-2 Fonts Max)
3) Flat Design (Rarely do you see shading, shadowing, gradients, bevels or texture). UPS Logo really has all these aspects but that’s rare!
4) Less Graphics Orientated: Most fortune 500 logos are text based with very little graphics if none at all. Sometimes maybe a swoop like Nike.
5) Proportioned: This is the tough one. The logo itself usually is in either square or wide rectangle format. Why is this? The reason is so your logo can fit in different applications. A portrait shaped logo is takes up alot of vertical space….so it can be hard to put in certain spots or even signage. It’s not a coincidence that all the big companies have the same shape of design.
|Simple but effective design:
2 Fonts, 2 Colors, No shading , No gradients and overall rectangle shape
(KISS…..Keep it simple stupid)….such an old saying but true!!
Check out my other logo designs at www.robertcipolla.com